Whether working, learning, or just having fun, the library's computers are available for anyone young or old.
The Decatur Public Library provides access to a broad range of electronic resources including those available through the Internet. The Library makes this service available as part of its mission of connecting people to the power of knowledge.
The library has several different computer stations with different rules to ensure everyone has a chance to access online resources.
- Xpress Computer - For patrons who have a valid library card and do not owe fees in excess of $25, the Library provides a courtesy computer. It allows for ONLY 15 minutes to access the internet.
- Word Processing Computers - The word processing computers are available to everyone. The programs include: Microsoft Office 2010 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Publisher) and WinWay Resume.
Did you know?
Decatur Public Library has 14 hotspots that can be borrowed for free Wi-Fi service. Visit the library to check one out for up to 30 days!
Access to computers in the adult section is limited to adults and minors ages 13-17 with parental permission entered on their library card. Children 12 and under may access the adult section's computers only when accompanied at all times by an adult with a library card or valid photo ID.
Our children's section has computers with Internet access only dedicated for children.
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Computer Lab is available for rental at least one week in advance and may be booked for up to four hours. The lab has room for twelve people plus a trainer. To book the room, please call (217) 421-9712. Please see the lab's policy for more information.
- Black and white printing: $0.15 per page or $0.25 for two sided print-outs.
- Color printing: $0.50 per page or $0.60 for two sided print-outs.
We recommend using Print Preview before sending your print job.
Library Card Holders
Use of the library’s computers requires a library card in good standing (less than $25.00 in fines) from Decatur Public Library or any other library in the Illinois Heartland Library System (IHLS).
Visitors from outside IHLS may be granted access to the library’s computer resources upon presentation of a valid driver's license or state ID.
The library offers WiFi. Connect your device to the DPL Patron Wireless hotspot and then open your browser. The screen should ask for a username and password, which is your library card number and PIN. If you are a guest or do not have a library card, please ask for a Guest Account at the Computer Help Desk.
Computer Rules and Internet Policies
Computer users may not:
- Make any attempt to modify or damage library computer equipment or software. Only software owned and installed by the Decatur Public Library may be used on its computers. Downloading or installing anything from the Internet or other software is not permissible.
- Use the library’s computers for any illegal activity, including violation of copyright or other rights of third parties. Users will be responsible for knowledge of all applicable federal, state, and local laws for which they may be held in violation.
- Use library computers to view or disseminate material considered inappropriate for a public environment or likely to cause a disturbance, or sexually explicit or suggestive (obscene/pornographic) images.