Security Camera Policy
Security cameras are used where needed to provide peace of mind to library users and staff.
The purpose of this policy is to establish guidelines for the placement and use of video security cameras, as well as the access and retrieval of recorded video images at the Decatur Public Library.
- Cameras are installed at library locations on an as needed basis.
- Signs will be posted at Library entrances and other locations throughout the library informing the public that security cameras are in use.
- Security cameras may be placed in both indoor and outdoor areas where security staff and designated Library staff can randomly monitor activity.
- Access to the archived footage in pursuit of documented incidents of criminal activity or violation of the Library’s rules of conduct is restricted to designated staff: Board of Trustee members, the City Librarian, Assistant City Librarian, Systems Manager or their designees.
- Access is also allowed by law enforcement officials upon request or when pursuant to a subpoena, court order, or when otherwise required by law.
- Designated staff as described above may have access to real-time monitors.
- Video records will be maintained for approximately 30 days with the exception of appropriate still shots or selected portions of the recorded data relating to specific incidents. These shall be retained for one year after the incident, provided no criminal activity or policy violation has occurred. In cases where criminal or civil litigation is involved, recordings will be kept until 30 days after final judgment.
- In situations involving patrons who have been banned from the premises, stored still images may be shared with all staff. Shared images may remain posted in restricted staff areas for the duration of the banning period. After the banning period ends, these images may be archived for a limited period of time.
- Questions from the public may be directed to the City Librarian or Assistant City Librarian.
- Cameras may be installed in public spaces where individuals lack a reasonable expectation of privacy. Cameras will not be installed in areas of the Library where individuals have a reasonable expectation of privacy.
- Cameras will not be installed for the purpose of monitoring staff performance.
- Installation and placement of cameras will be under the management and direct supervision of the City Librarian.
A copy of this policy may be shared with members of the public upon request. The policy is also posted on the Decatur Public Library’s official website.
Approved by the Board of Trustees on November 21, 2013
Amended by the Decatur Public Library Board of Trustees on July 20, 2017
Amended by the Decatur Public Library Board of Trustees August 20, 2020.