Let the Decatur Public Library help you with your time consuming lesson planning.
The Decatur Public Library has many tools for teachers to help make lesson plans go a little smoother.
Lesson Plans & Activities
A to Z Maps Online
This database offers maps throughout the world including historical maps, climate maps, and even maps from NASA! In addition, they offer:
- Flags of the world
- Interactive country labeling quiz called GeoFindIt!
- Geography lesson plans with materials that can be downloaded/printed
- Geography crossword puzzles that can be completed online or downloaded/printed
A to Z World Culture
AtoZ World Culture is the world’s most comprehensive collection of country culture articles for 175 countries. Fun lesson plans for grades 7-12 are available covering language arts, social studies, and related disciplines.
World Book, Inc. is a leading publisher of authoritative, age-appropriate, and reliable educational materials for children. World Book can be accessed online and is broken up into four divisions:
- World Book Kids - Offers fun interactive education for kids including pictures and videos, animals, crafts, puzzles, games, important people, geography, science, and a dictionary. The activity section also has a grownups section which includes lesson plans and materials for teachers.
- World Book Student - This is a great resource for older students who need to research any topic. In addition, at the top right, there is a link called Educator Tools with a variety of resources for teachers from lesson plans to graphic organizers to webquests.
- World Book Timelines - Find interactive timelines of places, people, literature, science, sports, history, and more.
- Enciclopedia Estudiantil Hallazgos - For those who speak Spanish or are taking a Spanish class, this is an outstanding database.
Several of our databases offer interactive and/or printable crossword puzzles:
Test your students knowledge of various topics through these great databases' interactive quizzes:
Did you know students can develop their own timeline online for FREE? World Book Timelines allows timelines to be developed, customized, saved, and shared via Google Classroom.
World Book Kids teaches kids how to do science projects and provides a wide variety of topics along with instructions to conduct their experiment.
With 71 languages to learn, Mango can give you the tools to help teach your students a foreign language. Mango also has many kid friendly movies in various languages to help support your curriculum.
This outstanding, interactive tool can be used to help you brainstorm! If you have a topic in mind, put it in the Topic Finder and you can dig for the material you are looking for or just give you more specific ideas for projects, lesson planning, and more! To use the Topic Finder, visit our Gale Database and enter your library barcode number.