Children's 2021 Summer Reading Challenge
Earn fun rewards for reading or listening to books!
June 1 - August 14. Early Registration opens online May 24!
Summer Reading from wherever you are! You can register and track your reading online, from the convenience of your computer, tablet, or smartphone. You can even log the reading activities for all your family from one account, using our library's Beanstack platform.
- Register online, and log your reading days starting June 1 through August 14.
- If you've already created an account in Beanstack for a previous DPL reading program, your information is still there. Just log in online or via the app -- check to be sure your family's information is up-to-date (email, phone, kids' grades and schools) -- and enroll everyone in their age-appropriate Reading Challenge (Children's, Young Adult, Adult).
-- Forgot your user name or password? You can recover that in Beanstack, or give us a call (217-424-2900 ext. 5), email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or message us via Facebook Messenger.
- If you're new to Beanstack, start your free account (with email & password), either through the library's Beanstack site or the Beanstack smartphone app for Android (Google) or iOS (Apple). (Or come to the Children's Desk and we'll get you registered.)
- Enter as many individuals as you want in your family or group under that account, and enroll each in the age-appropriate Reading Challenge (Children's, Young Adult, Adult).
- For the Children's Challenge, simply log each DAY that your child reads or listens to books. For every week (5 days) of reading, they earn a reward -- up to 5 levels!
- You can also pick up a printed reading log at the Children's Desk at the library. This allows kids to track their own reading progress and get a sticker for each completed level. (You can use the printed log instead of logging through Beanstack, if you prefer.)
- How much should kids read or listen to each day? Whatever works best for you and your child! Set reasonable daily reading goals that will be fun, and encourage raising those goals through the summer.
- As you complete reading levels, come to the Children's Desk upstairs to tell us what you've been reading and pick up your reading rewards!
Reading Rewards for the Children's Challenge
- Registration: Scratch-n-sniff bookmark
- Complete 1st Week's Reading: Book Bag, Papa Murphy's pizza coupon, McDonald's ice cream cone coupon
- Complete 2nd Week's Reading: Temporary Tattoos, McDonald's small soft drink coupon, Wendy's Frosty Jr coupon
- Complete 3rd Week's Reading: Scratch art pad*, McDonald's small fries coupon, ticket for the DPL Summer Reading T-shirt drawing (*special alternate reward for our youngest listeners)
- Complete 4th Week's Reading: Dr. Seuss eraser, Monical's pizza coupon, McDonald's small slushy coupon
- Complete 5th Week's Reading: Choice of a free book, McDonald's cheeseburger coupon, Texas Roadhouse coupon
Be sure to log the days you read -- we're aiming for a total of 15,000 days of reading across our DPL community this summer! Watch the total grow at the top of the page or app!
For Day Cares and Other Groups
Any group with multiple participants can register as a "family" under one account. There is no practical limit to the number of participants that can be under the same account.
- When starting your account, put the name of your agency or group in the "Last Name" field. Put the name of the contact person in the "First Name" field.
- If you also have a personal account with Beanstack (for yourself or your own family), be sure to use a different email and phone number for your group account. (You can't use the same email or phone number for two different accounts.)