Leonard Stevens, Sr.
- Born in 1764 in Connecticut.
- Married Alice Gates, and together had 9 children.
- First permanent settler of Macon County.
- Started the Stevens Settlement 3 miles northwest of Decatur along Stevens Creek sometime between 1821 and 1823.
- His home was the voting place for Polling District 2 for Shelby County before Macon County was established.
- His family helped establish the Methodist Society along with the Owen and Frazee families. The first meeting was held in David Owen’s house, and 12 people attended. This society later became the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Decatur.
- Died in 1830.